Saturday, April 7, 2012

Nymboida/Mann


Wow. I can't believe it took me this long to get around to doing this classic Australian river trip. Put this one on your list if you haven't done so already.




I'll let the video tell the story but the basics are :

Put in - Buccarumbi bridge
Take out - Jackadgery
Distance - 49k with side trip up Mann
Time - Three days 
Water level - 1.2-1.3m Jackadgery gauge (a bit higher would be better)
We portaged two grade 4 rapids, Lower Cunglebung and New Zealand falls and ran everything else. 
Route details are here.

If you can't spare three days this trip could easily be done over two at this level. Although we didn't venture too far upstream, the side trip up the Mann was, without a doubt, the highlight of the trip. The hiking up the north bank is slow and scrubby but the amazing scenery, fantastic boulder garden style rapids and a strong sense of wilderness made it well worthwhile.  


























8 comments:

  1. Great trip on some nice looking water! Cool edit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Trev. A nice video too. Beautiful part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're packrafting in shorts?! Lucky, lucky bast...

    Two days ago I woke up in my tent to snow and packrafted wearing merino, fleece, windshirt and rain jacket.

    Very jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Joe, thats funny, I was jealous watching the snow fall in your fantastic Keel Hauling video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trev, I keep coming back and looking at these photos and video ; what a great trip. I have been on the fence about getting a packraft but you may have just have tipped me over the edge. May I ask which model Alpacka you have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Philip, this really was a great trip, one of the best I've done actually. Great to hear your thinking of getting a packraft! Mine is a Denali Llama, I'm about 6' 1" and it fits me well. My partner, Sal, has a Yukon Yak, she is about 5' 7". Let me know if/when you would like to check them out so you can make sure you get the right boat. Packrafts are an amazing tool, you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Trev, and thanks for the offer. Always nice to know what first hand what fits/suits the best. Its just a matter of saving the $$ now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome write up, just added this one to my to do list!

    ReplyDelete