Monday, October 10, 2011

KEEP IT SIMPLE



It struck me how quick and simple packing for an overnighter has become as I put together a kit for a leisurely weekend at Barney. The simplicity, size and extreme lightness of modern ultralight gear seems to have made this even more obvious. Although I've used gear that is fairly close to the lightest available for several years now, it still gives me a buzz being able to achieve a sub four kilo base weight without sacrificing functionality and comfort. Of course, being able to pack for a weekend in the wilds quickly and at short notice is also a function of organisation and practice. All the gear I typically pack for a local trip all sits ready to go on a shelf in the wardrobe. Ready to go means all the small details like a complete cook system, (fuel excluded) first aid kit and guy lines attached to tarp. 





Pack, tarp, bivy, food, cook system, quilt, sleeping mat, warm clothing, rain jacket, first aid/toiletries/headlamp and water bottles.






Shelter simplicity = a tarp and bivy.

4 comments:

  1. Nice set up Trev. Not being a Barney regular, may I ask where your campsite was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to give me a few pointers before the JMT next year : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Phillip,

    We camped at the old hut site in the east/west saddle. I would highly recommend spending a night there when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Trev,

    I will check it out in the near future.

    ReplyDelete